The gates are open for the 40,000 Individual Sale tickets – as long as you pre-registered before noon last Sunday. I got in the queue at 12:00:12 – and it took about 8 minutes for my turn to come up. When I submitted the code for the second time, I got a “Bad Gateway” error. I had to refresh the browser and agree to re-submit my form data, then it worked. A relatively painless process, certainly much smoother than last year.
As part of buying the tickets, you have to agree to thousands of words of legalese. What are you actually agreeing to? Some highlights:
– you must spend 2 hours after the event picking up trash
– even if you’re going for a day, you must bring enough food, water, shelter and provisions for an entire week
– Burning Man has all rights to any images you take, or any images taken of you, at the event. You may only use such images for personal use. You can have a show at an art gallery of all your photos; but you can’t charge admission for it or sell the images. However, Burning Man can sell the images or use them for promotion as much as they want
– if anything goes wrong, including serious injury or death, you can’t sue Burning Man, and you can’t sue makers of art cars, art projects, and theme camps
– although you can’t sue them, Burning Man can still sue you
– you can use the Burning Man logo on items that you intend to give away; but you can’t trade those items for anything
– you promise not to be offended by nudity, and if you are, you may leave the vicinity or the event
– you are agreeing to abide by the Ten Principles. So, if you’re not radically self-reliant, in theory they can kick you out (or sue you); if you’re thinking about yesterday or tomorrow, you’re violating the Principle of Immediacy – and therefore the terms of this agreement
– Burning Man can cancel your tickets at any time, for any reason.
– you are not allowed to sell your tickets at a higher price than face value
– if anything goes wrong with processing your credit card, you’re SOL, you’re not able to use another one
For those who are interested, here’s the full text. It’s questionable how legally binding a contract of this type is.