A number of readers have brought to our attention BMOrg’s latest job posting. They are looking for someone to “manage” their tickets, despite paying about half a million dollars a year to an external firm for ticketing.
Significantly, in the wording of the ad is this:
Manages Locals, Lifetime, Alumni, & Charitable donation ticket programs.
We have heard that discounted tickets are available for Gerlach locals.
“Charitable donation tickets” would be the “VIP Tickets” that were sold to select camps for $650 all year-long, without regard to the event being sold out. The $250 above face value is a donation to the Burning Man Project. If Burners sell tickets above face value, it’s “against Burning Man’s Principles”, if BMOrg does it, it’s “saving the world”. Now that the chumps and suckers and hucksters are magically the same, and Decommodification has become an ironic prank on the community, maybe it’s OK for Burners to re-sell their tickets at market price.
Perhaps if you donate enough money to their charity, you become one of BMOrg’s Alumni.
Missing from the list of duties? Putting stamps on envelopes and mailing tickets to the 20% of Burners who come from other countries. There is no incentive to shorten the Will Crawl line, which is reminiscent of the way nightclubs like to have long lines at their entrances.
Proficiency in maths is required, which will be helpful given their predecessor accidentally forgot to count $1.3 million of ticket sales a couple of years back.
Location: San Francisco, CA
Type: Full Time
Min. Experience: Mid Level
Burning Man’s Ticketing Associate manages specific ticketing programs throughout the year and is the point person for all outward-facing ticketing communications, including architechting participant support. This role also participates in year-round planning for Box Office operations, and on playa acts as one of two Box Office Co-Operations Managers.
This is a full-time, regular position eligible for benefits in our San Francisco office.
DUTIES & ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
Year-round Ticketing Operations:
* Oversees day-to-day participant support including creation of support macros, coordinating with the ticket vendor’s support team, ensuring consistency of messages across all support platforms.
* Maintains accuracy of content in all public-facing channels.
* Monitors and pursues ticket resale activity on the secondary market, including managing a volunteer resale tracking team.
* Manages Locals, Lifetime, Alumni, & Charitable donation ticket programs.
* Reviews and processes Low Income applications.
* Reviews and processes post-event refund requests.
* Manages interdepartmental BMID process and production and oversees on-playa BMID office operations.
* Assists in creation of all training materials & conducting trainings.
* Acts as Box Office lead for Community Events as needed.
* Manages internal ticket QA process and is responsible for all inventory tracking.
* Responsible for coordinating all internal TRS training and supporting materials.
* Manages internal ticket fulfillment.
* Produces post-event departmental ticket use summaries.
* Manages early on-site staff credentialing & coordinates with the Gerlach Office
* On playa acts as one of two Box Office Co-Operations Managers.
* Attend meetings as needed.
* Support current ticket policies.
* Assist with research as requested by the Legal team.
* Bachelor’s degree or higher
* Must be extremely detail-oriented
* Excellent project management skills
* Exceptional customer service skills
* Strong analytical skills
* Ability to work with sensitive information discreetly
* Ability to follow directions accurately and efficiently
* Working knowledge of Salesforce, FileMaker Pro, MS office suite, internet browers, and email clients.
* Comfortable learning new technologies and their applications.
* Experience managing databases
* Confortable with and proficient in math
* Must be adept at prioritizing competing tasks
* Must possess outstanding verbal and written communication skills
* Participant of Burning Man
* Confident & effective working independently
* Box Office experience
* experience managing volunteers
* experience creating data-driven infographics
* working knowledge of graphics programs
Burning Man is an equal-opportunity employer.