Let’s Go Outside and Play Together!
GrowGames has Three Goals for Food Action:
1. GAME: #SeedstheGame are mobile games that teach you how to grow and then get you gardening outside in real life
2. JAM: Game jams connect you to local players to form or join teams and clubs to design, garden, and play together
3. THRIVE: Receive useful tools and vibrant seeds through our rewards and for tackling challenges in the game and then use them to grow with your friends
Seeds is a Series of Mobile Games Created with YOU
We want to shift the way people use technology: instead of shutting you off from the world, our games showcase the most beautiful and amazing things growing around us and then challenge you and your friends to go out and find them in real life.
We LITERALLY put the tools, and the seeds, in your hands to grow the kind of garden you’ve always dreamed of.
Join us as a seed planter, designer or developer at a game jam, a beta testing player growing food with friends or action hero garden expert to level up your guild and share knowledge worldwide. Clues to gameplay are hidden in our series of videos starting with the first video above and releasing weekly every Wednesday in 2014. Come back to watch the updates and learn how to level up with Grow Games.
Connect Gardens Worldwide & Play an Ecosystem of Experiences
We connect gardens in gratitude with our shared heritage and we tell this story in our games. Whether you’re an individual gardener or part of an established organization, this is your invitation to join us and get in first for our soundtrack of music, games, game jam events and actions in your area to grow together in guilds and food leagues.
Play now – use the hashtag #SeedstheGame to be in one of our next videos and earn points as we build the community!
Together with dozens of our favorite artists we are offering this limited edition game jam alpha release for you, straight from the best festivals and events around the world as a preview for music in gameplay. With your support we are launching a series of mobile games in 2015 and you will get the first download codes & access. The more we raise together, the faster we can produce this series for you.
Grow Food, Play with Friends, Save Money: GAME JAMS
We mix permaculture education, game design and community playtesting into local events to engage people who may be new to game development and gardening.
Some of our games like Symponix and Pested include great music – all of our games are tools designed to help you grow food together. We create together at game jams with community experts and game designers from many backgrounds.
Open Game Jam Access to Design with Us!
Join us at a GAME JAM to become a Grow Games Insider with special access as we develop this series of games – internships and design partnerships are welcome. This crowdsourcing harvest season is your opportunity to get first in line for game releases, downloads with the limited edition music jam.
Companies can go big with Grow Games to reach new people! Organizations and enterprises can sponsor game jam events with first access to market/shelf space in many games – the farmers market features prominently in gameplay.
Soundtrack benefit album + free downloads with all rewards over $13
As a thank you for helping us build these games we are producing a mix of our game music together with our favorite musical artists. You, the perfect beta testers, get the perfect seed album to start your garden adventures.
We are creating healthy homemade perks including custom food items with our gardeners and city farmers if we meet our goals. Stay tuned for our video releases every Wednesday including our PERKS video coming soon and help us sell out and share more SEEDS!
A Gratitude Garden Jam for you to enjoy anywhere
Mixed by Jesse Wright (Lightning in a Bottle, Artist Director) joined by a huge harvest of artists with gratitude for all of their amazing hard work. We will be announcing artists every week and you can head over to our Soundcloud for more music to garden by
Seed Packs & Special Gift Packs with Sensors
We are making gift baskets with special perks for our first beta testers and supporters including jewelry from artist Cristina McAllister
, one of our character designers. Some of the perks listed include shipments of sensors for the home, school or community garden
including arduino-based soil sensors and weather stations. Gameplay will help you link your sensors to play in coming iterations and we encourage you to make your own data centers in your garden to keep track of your soil health and climate needs for healthy gardens.
Early Bird Worm Specials & Farm to Table Play
Get in first for early access to the downloads and beta codes! Seed packs and special gift packs include extras to share. In-game our early worm will give you insight on your soil health and help you get in first for our games and apps even before they are released to the public. You can sign up to be an early playtester and come to our game jams to get involved in game and app development….plus get in on the secret prizes available only for the first week of this campaign.
Seeds Launch Party in Vista
In 2015 we will be hosting an event for our top crowdfunding supporters where they will receive all sorts of wild infusions of new seeds and special prizes. This will be a once in a lifetime event featuring many of the artists on our soundtrack album along with a full farm to table feast for the senses. You can schedule your own Farm to Table event with our expert chefs at the Emerald Village catering your feast for 16 from our gardens and farms to your table. We’ll help you grow new food at home.
Our games connect gardens, people and food systems worldwide.
This is our Gratitude Garden and You are Seeds in the Game.
We join you to host interactive events to activate your school or community play with food, water and soil systems -Your contribution now includes your first pass ticket in for events, music, games and experiences in 2015 and 2016 with Grow Games & #SeedstheGame. Take a pic and tag it now to start playing! We will be sharing your pictures in our supercuts throughout this campaign and game series.
Employee-Owned Social Benefit Game Company
Our biodiverse team is a Southern California Social Benefit Corp striving to be the first gaming B-Corp with a focus on global food and ecosystem resiliency:
- We love games and create/play together at game jam events
- Our team is a mix of women and men from all backgrounds and orientations
- We are disaster relief geeks with 25+ years experience working with nonprofits, government, education and sustainable business practices
- You can join us for events by sponsoring an award or bounty achievement at a development game jam in a city near you
Our nonprofit partners such as Growcology in Riverside and Project Nuevo Mundo host volunteer events where we partner to host a mix of game jam and educational events to level up real world gardening skills. We are happy to be working with great nonprofits such as the Seed Libraries Network and local food action and permaculture alliances. Join us at a game jam or local event to get started as a playtester, artist or game designer with Grow Games Interactive.
Action Engine EXPERIENCE with Food Systems
Our team includes amazing leaders in biodiversity and permaculture, technology and game development, interactive storytelling and educational applications.
GROW GAMES INTERACTIVE is a social benefit company in California:
Nick Heyming: CEO and Director of the Flow with experience in eco-friendly development and media, providing FLOW DOJO workshops as a premium reward for those who want to learn jedi arts with friends at home or at his ecovillage.
Evonne Heyning: Chair of the Board and Executive Producer ~ experienced with interactive production and games of all types, creative lead making limited edition jars of SEED JAM with homegrown pomegranate and lotus seed as a sugar-free spread.
Peter Kwok: Technical wizard, operational lead and board member specializing in data integration with hardware and software experience from Apple to Google. Active gamer, designer and climate data/disaster response specialist.
Sonya Meline: Active in permaculture as culture-building through events and tech companies, focusing on great relationships and healthy organizational development as we grow
Michelle Perrales: Our volunteer and project coordinator with the passion for people, the planet and playtesting with our team, designing great user experiences and interfaces for action.
SOME OF OUR AMAZING ARTISTS
(and more to be announced!)
Jesse Wright: A top headlining DJ at Coachella and Lightning in a Bottle, Lead music director and artist liaison for live music & DJs
Cristina McAllister: Character, avatar and fine artist with experience in tabletop and RPG gaming, crafting epic bugs and female heroes such as the Autumn Queen in our early prototypes
Nahko and Medicine for the People: Live music with a message for the people of the earth from the native voice
Imperial Highness: Produced by FABIAN ALSULTANY with KAZUHIRO ITOH, the Globesonic world DJ’s latest project mixes global music masters
Al-Insan Lashley: Interactive designer and artist for game board and posters
Mr. Lif: HipHop & Spoken Word artist with Terra Bella
SEEDS ADVISORY TEAM
Don Tipping: Author, workshop and educational leader at Seven Seeds Farm
Native Seeds/SEARCH: Non-profit Indigenous Seed Saving and Education
Eric Stephens: Gardening and composting expert and youth outreach
Daniel Goldman: Founder/systems designer with SimCity/Maxis
Jon Everett: Project Manager/Flow master, Unity Developer and Animator
Kevin Byall: Senior CG Artist/Animator with SimCity/Sims at EA
Jacki Morie: 30 years interactive design/production for games and simulations, advisor and curator/producer for SIGGRAPH
Maya Zuckerman: Founder of Transmedia SF, Interactive Producer
Marco Barrantes: Permaculture expert, Founder of La Loma Development
Bianca Chavez Memory Heyming: Native Landscaping and Storytelling Expert
Dr. Nicole Radziwill: Technology/Computer Quality Systems + Climate Data, JMU
Dr. Victor Zordan: University of California Professor in Video Game Production
Tom Munnecke: Systems design sensor advisor for hardware and internet of things
Ursula Leyva: Permaculture education and level/achievement design, Spanish language learning specialist
Selena Wilson: Visual Artist, School Garden Liaison, Youth Outreach
Olivia Zanfardino: Advisor for Aquaculture, education and dashboards for data analytics with agencies and public sector partners
ADDITIONAL THANKS TO OUR GREAT TEAM AND GAME JAM CREATIVES!
Manny, Tina, Mari, Blake, Hayley, Mario, Adam, Ariel, Dalia, Joshua, Thom, Toren, Chaos, Adam, Jessica, Natalia, Jesse, Selena, Mike and everyone at the Emerald Village, including our playtesting volunteers and field experts.
How We Work with You & Your Guilds
We are raising support to pay for stipends for our creative leaders who have given generously of their energy and to host GAME JAMS WITH YOU:
- Our company will invest the first $20K raised in game jams to produce a series of design, strategy and development events with you where we produce game elements together with field experts.
- The next $40-50K is invested in staff cost for hiring developers and production team from game jam talent, internships and awards for events including sponsored awards for the game jam series.
- We aim to raise $100K for first app releases by 2015 from a mix of crowdfunding, angels and ecosystem product partners.
- We have raised $25K so far to start Grow Games as an employee-owned social benefit company over the last year starting with a team of 3 and featuring hundreds of volunteers, playtesters and guest stars.
Be the First Expert, Plant a New Field
- SOCIAL ACTION GAMING IS HOT: Ingress is challenging millions to make a map of the world’s art while losing weight taking portals.
- We start with the SEEDS geo-play social action engine + mapping local food systems + games + garden experiences and make it participatory for all ages.
- Field expert perks may include Grow Games moderator permissions for forums, sensors for community gardens and guilds, Eddefy expertise & knowledge sharing across the game network + honors and recognition in-game.
- Talk to us about your integrated projects! We love teaching gardens.
#SeedstheGame Global Impact
Have you ever wanted to play a game that creates real value?
Playing Seeds the Game apps over the last year has saved our playtesters an average of $100 in food! Our games connect games and gardening to grow healthy ecosystems starting at home and in our neighborhoods.
When challenged by disaster, drought, outbreaks and epidemics:
- Real-time data mapping of local food systems provides a lifeline
- Global play can help eradicate pest challenges and adapt to climate change
- Games and actions can be added to address specific, local, urgent needs
- Special games and actions address organizational challenges as they happen
We are happy to meet with your organization to discuss mods and gameplay on top of your existing data sets and challenges.
A Story for Thrivable Futures
- Our storytellers Bianca (English/Native American) and Ursula (Peruvian) share the importance of food, soil, water and ecosystem care from indigenous voices as climate-appropriate landscape masters
- We are building on five years of educational experience in permaculture and food systems with Growcology, our partner for educational scholarships and design awards
- Our action engine includes nonprofit and local food actions, connecting people to community gardens and opportunities to do more together
Take control of your food system….and get in a great flow perk!
Our intrepid leader Nick Heyming began this work after rebuilding in Cuzco, Peru and after Hurricane Katrina in Louisiana where he taught the basics of growing new systems and flow arts, the jedi training that mixes the art of the garden with movement arts such as fire and staff spinning. Only a few of his special flow dojo workshops are available in this campaign and he will come to you or you can come visit him at the Emerald Village for your customized flow workshop.
Send photos & videos #SeedstheGame to play
- Tag your best food systems & garden work #SeedstheGame to be featured on our site, in weekly video series and in gameplay.
- Indiegogo share tools make it easy to Facebook/Twitter/Instagram/Pinterest us as much as you wish. Run amok, don’t be shy. We love you too.
- Join us at a game jam! We’re in Pasadena, San Francisco, Vista, Los Angeles and San Diego this month….Reach out and send us a message to join our crowdsourced game team @GrowGames and tag #SeedstheGame anywhere to share & connect.