In the latest episode of my podcast Carl Hassell joins me to look once more into the Peyote Way Church of God and their enigmatic founder Mana Trujillo.
Here’s the previous episode – just a day away from 1 year ago. I hope we can get Part 3 out quicker than that.
It is interesting that Carl brought this information about the Peyote Way Church of God being a Mormon splinter group to Jan Irvin several years ago, yet for some reason he didn’t want to cover it. He just took a bunch of Carl’s research and added it to his Brain database without credit. Big ups to Carl for sharing it with us here.
This is an amazing intel drop on what looks very much like yet another MKULTRA drug and mind control cult, wrapped in the guise of New Age religion.
Carl has shared a large amount of information based on years of his own research – images, PDFs, and links. All the content below has been provided by him:
Here are some links to articles from the 60s-to mid 2000s.
1.This first link is titled “Peyote Legal in Colorado”. Describes Mana’s winning possession case.
East Village Other http://voices.revealdigital.com/cgi-bin/independentvoices?a=d&d=BFGHCGB19670715.1.17&srpos=2&e=——-en-20–1–txt-txIN-Mana+Pardeahtan————–1#
2. 2 examples of Ashrama Pottery. Ashrama was founded with Bill Haines,the psychedelic yoga master. (Who also helped form the Boo-Hoo church with Art Kleps at Millbrook. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Mana-Pottery-Pitcher-Benson-Arizona-1969-Signed-Sri-Rama-Ashram-/263248174943
3. See above 4 attachments of Mana Pottery from 1946. Even though official P.W. literature/Mana Pottery Company, states the company was started in 1948!! (This is amazing, as P.W. claims Mana was in the Royal Marines & suffered traumatic brain injury, and was blown apart)
4. This 2014 Village Voice Article has Matthew Kent saying for the first time Mana was part Jewish! & first mention his father was part Mexican! AND mentions that Mana gave Kent & wife Anne Zaph the designation of “Rabbi”,& “Reverend”, even though they have no affiliation to either religion! https://www.villagevoice.com/2014/01/08/a-remote-arizona-church-offers-followers-peyote-induced-psychedelic-trips/ I include the cut & pastes from article..”As the story goes, Trujillo was born to a Jewish mother of French-American descent and a Mexican-Apache father. Trujillo’s father had come to the United States from Mexico in 1917 and enlisted in the U.S. Army to gain American citizenship.” “Soon after their first experience with the drug, the two decided to stay and join the church. They were designated by Trujillo as the “Reverend” Zapf and “Rabbi” Kent, although they have no formal affiliations to Christianity and Judaism.”
The above article is well worth reading in whole! Also talks of Leary, Bill Haines, Millbrook.
5. 1968 Smithsonian Book of American Indian Painters. notice the complete lack of info on Mana, but a wealth of info on his wife Rena Paradis.
6.PDF of The Lincoln Star, Lincoln Nebraska. Sat. Oct.2 1965. Article about Mana Pottery, with picture of Rena Paradis & Mana.
7. Attachments to Mormon Splinter Groups: The United Order, an L.D.S. group started by Joseph Smith.
8. Link from P.W. web page, describing the “Word of Wisdom” dietary guideline for vowed clergy. https://peyoteway.org/doctrine/word_of_wisdom.php
10. Attachment to Official 33rd anniversary pamphlet from P.W. (How Masonic!)
11. Attachment to official P.W. obit of Mana.
12.Link to Annie’s Blog January 25,2018. Annie talks of hosting 240 “Spirit Walks”,@ $300.00, which comes out to $72.000! And tells of Mana starting a Tucson chapter of the Ching-A-Ling Nomads M.C. Original headquarters are in NYC. https://anniesblog2015.wordpress.com/2018/01/25/membership-renewal-and-fundraising-letter/
13. Here are links to various court cases and outcomes re: P.W. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peyote_Way_Church_of_God,_Inc._v._Thornburgh
14. Dr. Andrew Weil testimony in possession case of Mana in 1987. https://peyoteway.org/history/weil_testimony.php
15. Attachment from Getty Images Berkeley 1967, describing Mana, Leary on stage. ( Getty Images wants $500.00 for the full picture!)So I got a partial screen shot instead.
16. PDF of Mana/Nixon/Goldwater mention from a 1982 article.
1. page 155 from the 1955 book saying Trujillo is born in Pennsylvania, to a Roman Catholic mom.
2. PDF of Az. daily Star Tues.Dec.6, 1960. Mana says he was born on San Carlos reservation.
3.PDF of El Paso Times Sun. June 14, 1987 Mana says he is one quarter apache.
4.PDF of March-April 1966 East Village Other article by Walter Bowart.
5.PDF of Feb-March 1966 East Village Other article by Walter Bowart, about Leary, Mana,& Castalia Foundation.
6. PDF of Feb-March 1966 pt. 2 of East Village Other article by Walter Bowart.
7. Diggers archives from 1967 flyer saying is Mana the man?
8.Diggers archives from 1967 flyer saying Mana is cool.
9. Diggers archives from 1967 with Walter Bowart,& Hare Krishna,& cannabis smuggler Michael Fortier vouching for Mana.
10. PDF of Az. Daily Star March 29,1970. Mana & Psychedelic Yoga Master Bill Haines/Ashrama pottery Co.
11.PDF of Az. Republic March 1,1970. Mana living on Peggy Hitchcock/Walter Bowart’s land.
12.PDF of Las Vegas Daily Optic from Thurs. July 23,1960,Government asks beatniks to give peyote back to Indians.
13.PDF of Rapid City Journal, Rapid City South Dakota Sun. Oct.11,1987. Indians support gov. case against P.W. Indians say “sham religion”.
14. PDF of Calgary Herald, Alberta Canada, Weds. Jan.4,1956. First of 3 separate articles detailing Mana cannabis bust.
15.PDF of The Gazette, Montreal Canada, Weds.Jan.4 1956.Second article of Mana cannabis bust.
16.PDF of The Gazette, Montreal, Canada. Weds. May 30,1956. third article details of Mana cannabis bust.
17.PDF of Montgomery Advertiser, Montgomery, Alabama. Thurs. Sept.22, 1955. Announcement of Trujillo’s book.
18.PDF of Clarion-Ledger, Jackson Mississippi, Sept. 18,1955. Another announcement of Trujillo’s book.
19. PDF of Daily News NYC, March 23, 1955. Beautiful pic of Mana in his self designed “Nazi-style” uniform, and Pat ward article.
Here is an article from Jan.8. 2014, where Matthew states for the first time Mana was part Jewish!! Even though the 1955 book says his mom is Roman Catholic. I include the article in whole, and the cut/paste with statement. https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news/a-remote-arizona-church-offers-followers-peyote-induced-psychedelic-trips-6640788
This is also the first mention of his father being part Mexican!!
“As the story goes, Trujillo was born to a Jewish mother of French-American descent and a Mexican/Apache father. Trujillo’s father had come to the United States from Mexico in 1917 and enlisted in the U.S. Army to gain American citizenship.” -Matthew Kent.
This contains links to court cases involving P.W. I include the official timeline taken from P.Ws website of Detailed chronology of events in church history. https://peyoteway.org/history/chronology.php
Also includes the copy/paste from P.W. website chronology indicating Trujillo met with F.B.I.in July 2 1980 to discuss procuring peyote for church!! July 2, 1980
…“First Church Pilgrimage to South Texas to introduce the Texas State government to the Peyote Way Church of God and procure the Holy Sacrament Peyote from a D.E.A. registered Peyote Dealer.
Rev. Trujillo meets with Lt. Governor, Assistant Attorney General, and the F.B.I.”
Also cut/paste from website chronology about cofounders arrested in Texas for possession in Nov.13 1980
November 13, 1980
…”Rev. Anne Zapf, Deaconess Norah Booth, and Rabbi Matthew Kent are pulled over by a law enforcement officer in Richardson, Texas. After asking for Rabbi Kent’s license and registration, the officer asked if the Peyote Way Church of God was a member of the Council of Churches. The officer had noticed a large sign on the side of the pickup truck, which read “Peyote Way Church of God, Texas Pilgrimage, 1980,” which was also painted with stylized Peyote buttons and firebirds. Kent replied no. The officer then asked if Church officers had any Peyote in their possession. Church officers produced their Medicine bags and revealed 12 buttons, the recommended quantity (four buttons each) for Church Clergy when traveling in the Temporal World, “…in the event of imminent martyrdom.” (Bylaws, Annotation One, Sacramental Procedure: Reformed Ritual.) Church officers were immediately placed under arrest and the pickup, full of Mana pottery, was searched and impounded.”
Links to various court cases and decisions/analysis.
Dr. Andrew Weil’s testimony in possession trial of Trujillo in 1987 https://peyoteway.org/history/weil_testimony.php
Here are links to articles in The East Village Other, one is by Walter Bowart from 1966 & 67 about Trujillo. One 2 part article talks of Leary facing jail time and ties in Trujillo.
I am sending attachments of 2 official pamphlets from P.W.C.G, You will notice pamphlet 1 is the 33rd anniversary of the church(how masonic!!) & the official church obituary for Mana. Also 2 pages from Mormon Splinter groups page listing P.W. as a recognized sect. And am sending a link from Encyclopedia.com/Drug Related groups listing P.W & The Neo American Church, founded by Art Kleps & psychedelic yoga master Bill Haines. This church was also at Millbrook, & Haines later founded Ashrama Pottery Co. with Mana. https://www.encyclopedia.com/religion/encyclopedias-almanacs-transcripts-and-maps/drug-related-groups
In the P.W listing you will notice that P.W. belongs to The United Order, started by Mormon Joseph Smith.
Also included are links to 2 examples of Ash Rama pottery. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Mana-Pottery-Pitcher-Benson-Arizona-1969-Signed-Sri-Rama-Ashram-/263248174943
And a PDF attachment of the Ariz.Daily Star from March 29, 1970, the article talks about Bill Haines w/picture,& Mana.
This page from Annie’s blog from 2018 states P.W.C.G conducted 240 “spirit walks” in 2017,@ $300.00 per walk,this comes out to $72.000! She also states that Mana started a Tucson chapter of the Ching-A-Ling Nomads M.C. Their headquarters are in NYC. So we see Mana has been involved with bikers since the 50’s, as stated in his 1955 book, and the 2005 book titled “The Original Wild Ones” by Bill Hayes. And also a mention of the Ching-A-Lings & Mana in the 2017 book “True Stories” by Garrick Beck. Attachments will show the pages from 1955’s “I love you…” by Trujillo, “Wild One’s”, and “True Stories”
here are excerpts from Az. Daily Star, Aug.8 1982,where a reporter describes letters from Nixon & Goldwater thanking Mana for art pieces.
I include a page from the 1955 book saying Trujillo was born in Pennsylvania from a Roman Catholic mom. And a 1960 article from The Az. Daily Star saying he was born on the San Carlos reservation, and now known only as Mana. Article also mentions his studio at the Will Rogers Jr. Territory House in Tubac, Az.
Newspaper reports on the NRP, newspaper reports on announcement of “I love you,I hate you, My 6 weeks of free love with Pat Ward.”
Some Pat ward/Jelke news
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Google Podcasts | Email | RSS