Earlier in the year, VICE news published a story When the DEA Went to Burning Man, Shit Got Redacted about the DEA’s activities at Burning Man, based on a heavily redacted FOIA response.
When we discussed the story in April, we also published the results of a FOIA request made by “Inkoo Kang” in 2012 (responded to after much chasing in Feb 2013). This provided documented proof that the FBI have been active at Burning Man.
For some reason, this story has hit the mainstream media this week. Here’s some of the coverage:
The FBI are far from the only agency operating there.
Agencies Spotted at Burning Man
- 200+ police; BLM and sheriff’s combined patrols, integrated teams
- Night vision goggles, sniffer dogs, drones
- Run by Special Agent Dan Love – Bundy Ranch standoff
- Bureau of Land Management
- Department of the Interior senior management
- Pershing County Sheriff’s Office
- Washoe County Sheriff’s Office – ATAC (All Threats All Crimes)
- Nevada Highway Patrol
- Paiute Indian Reservation Police
- Centers for Disease Control
- Department of Agriculture
- Department of Public Safety (Investigation Division)
- US Forest Service
- US Customs & Border Patrol
- Nevada State Board of Health
Not to mention Google’s prototyping of new technologies, such as Google Earth. Another technology prototyped at Burning Man, Firechat, played a big role in the Hong Kong protests a month after its Playa debut.
The festival takes place on a former military site that is still used for space launches. It is very close to Naval Air Station Fallon, and every year there are fly-overs. There are also all kinds of elite military personnel at the festival, plugged directly into reconnaissance satellites.
Military aircraft that have been spotted at Burning Man include:
- V-22 Osprey tiltrotor
Recently Alex Jones’ show InfoWars.com did a special on Burning Man’s bugs, asking if they also could be tied to government agency activities.
In Operation Chaos and COINTELPRO the FBI and CIA infiltrated the counter-culture of the 1960’s. History is repeating itself…perhaps by accident, or perhaps by design.