For some holiday weekend reading, here’s a fascinating story from Natural News on the role the big pharmaceutical companies have played in the development of the global drugs market.
Re-blogged from Natural News
The secret history of Big Pharma’s role in creating and marketing heroin, LSD, meth, Ecstasy and speed
|Tuesday, April 03, 2007
by Mike Adams, the Health Ranger
Editor of NaturalNews.com (See all articles…)
Tags: street drugs, illegal drugs, drug abuse
Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/021768_street_drugs_illegal.html#ixzz3exjINCUi
Most consumers think that street drugs are in an entirely different class than prescription drugs, and they believe that pharmaceutical companies would never manufacture or sell street drugs. But guess what? As you’ll read here, drug companies actually invented many of the street drugs now considered to be the most devastating, including heroin and meth (“ice”). That’s right, we need Pharma Watch Dogs, lots of them; groups, sites and movements.
Here are seven facts you probably never knew about the connection between street drugs and pharmaceutical companies:
1. Heroin was launched as a medicine by Felix Hoffman, an employee of Bayer, only a few days after he invented aspirin. Bayer immediately applied for a trademark on the term “heroin,” then began marketing the drug as a cure for morphine addiction. It was also marketed as cough syrup for children.
2. Parke-Davis, a subsidiary of Pfizer, promoted and sold cocaine. It even produced a “cocaine injection kit” complete with a syringe for shooting up. Skeptical? You can view the picture yourself by clicking www.NaturalNews.com/gallery/articles/ParkeDav…
3. A subsidiary of Novartis, Sandoz Laboratories, introduced the world to LSD in 1938, marketing it as a psychiatric drug named Delysid. This same drug company also created saccharin, the artificial chemical sweetener.
4. Drug giant Merck pioneered the commercial manufacture of morphine from opium and was a heavy pusher and marketer of cocaine. Merck also patented MDMA (Ecstasy, the rave drug). After World War II, Merck also began producing pesticides and food preservatives.
5. Ritalin is “speed” for children. A chemical amphetamine, Ritalin is made of controlled substances that would land you in prison if you sold them to a kid on the street, yet the drug is currently prescribed to millions of schoolchildren in the United States to treat a “brain chemistry condition” that was invented by the drug companies.
6. In the 1930’s, drug companies marketed amphetamines as over-the-counter inhaler medicines for treating nasal congestion. Tablet amphetamines were also widely available in tablet form and frequently abused by students, truck drivers and other groups.
7. Meth was originally synthesized by chemists and later refined by drug companies. During WWII, “meth” was actually prescribed to soldiers by the U.S., Germany and Japan. Even Hitler was known as a “meth head” by his own staff. By the end of the war, millions of military personnel were addicted to the drug.
Today, meth (“crank”) is made from ingredients found in over-the-counter cold medicines. While a meth epidemic sweeps America, destroying entire communities and even threatening some states (Hawaii in particular), drug companies insist their cold medicines should remain over the counter and not be classified as controlled substances. There is currently no legislative effort whatsoever to ban over-the-counter cold medicines containing the chemicals used to create meth.
Also related: Coca-Cola really did contain cocaine during its first few decades on the market (it also contained kola nut extract, hence the name). Cocaine was later removed from the formula and replaced with caffeine, a substance that is similarly addictive and serves much the same purpose.
Once you realize the connection between street drugs and prescription drugs, it’s easy to figure out why Big Pharma is such a strong supporter of the Partnership For A Drug-Free America — because they don’t want consumers getting their drugs from street dealers, they want people buying their drugs from drug companies! Drug companies’ attempts to outlaw street drugs are little more than a way of eliminating the competition and monopolizing the drug market.
Ultimately, Big Pharma is just another drug pushing cartel that has the same goals as any drug dealer: Convince customers they need your drug, get them hooked on it, and eliminate the competition.
The only difference is that Big Pharma has been so successful at dealing drugs that it has enough funds to buy off Congress, the Food and Drug Administration and practically the entire psychiatric industry (not to mention medical schools and mainstream media outlets).
Today, more than 40 percent of the U.S. population ingests FDA-approved synthetic chemicals manufactured and marketed by drug companies.
Drug companies think this number is too low. Their goal is to have 100 percent of the U.S. population taking not just one drug per day, but multiple drugs every day, for life.
Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/021768_street_drugs_illegal.html#ixzz3exj0DDLu
Pingback: Baltimore Stories (5) | Hipster Intelligence Agency
Not sure much of this is a secret to anyone interested in this area. And I agree with Alexander, finding a better source than Natural News would lend some credibility to this post. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with the facts here, and they are available from more reputable sources.
“get the same facts from different sources”…you disappoint me, JV. Facts are facts, regardless of source.
Sources matter because facts can be false. Natural News thinks vaccines cause autism while science has proven that autism starts in the womb. When I read something from Natural News I assume it is full of shit until proven otherwise, because so often their stories are full of shit.
Beyond filtering out the crap, whatever truth you find is often colored by the low-veracity context to the reader AND the writer. Respected news sources have longer legs in convincing the people who are not looking for more chemtrails stories.
I re-blogged their story because as far as I know from my own research, everything in it is true. I also added other information from other sources. Better to disprove the facts than attack the source. So far, none of the haters piling on against Natural News or my article (here and on Facebook) have brought up the facts.
I’m not sure this blog is the best place to have the “pro-vaxxer” debate, but the “science” versus the truth of it is very much under debate. I would encourage readers to do their own research into all the science on both sides of the argument .
Come on, you have to realize that source matters in a debate.
It matters if there is some sort of dispute over the facts. What facts are you disputing?
It matters in terms of force of argument. Your argument loses force if you quote from a disreputable source, no matter the facts at hand. It’s Debate 101. That’s what we’re saying. The facts in this post seem solid, we’re not debating that. You can take a purist stance and complain when people question your source, but why put yourself through that?
In that case, please show me what is wrong with the source (Natural News). Is it because they are anti-vaccine?
And by the way, I’m not arguing anything. I’m re-blogging an interesting story and adding some facts of my own that support it. There’s nothing to debate here as far as I’m concerned.
The Natural News guy is your garden-variety crackpot. Here are a few rundowns:
“YMWV” can only be stretched so far.
A “fascinating” story on NaturalNews dot com is like saying a “disturbing” article on Onion dot com. Check your sources.
Truth is truth. What are you claiming is false in this story?