by Whatsblem the Pro
The Burning Man Org is hiring again! Do you have the Right Stuff for the job?
Having recently lost/let go of Quinn “Ghost Dancer” Yarborough (under, we should point out, reportedly amicable circumstances), the Org is now keen to fill the vacuum he left and hire a new Nevada Properties Manager. This is a full-time paid position, and the successful candidate will be eligible for benefits.
According to Kat Steinmetz, Black Rock City LLC’s Head of Human Resources and Administration, “this role is responsible for the management and oversight of Black Rock City’s Nevada properties and facilities. The Nevada Properties Manager is responsible for the complete maintenance of all facilities in Gerlach, Nevada, which include but are not limited to the Office, Helen’s House, the Saloon, the Trailer Park, the Showers Property, the old Theatre, and Black Rock Station (BRS).”
Note that you’ll need to live in or relocate to Gerlach, Nevada (population: small but pleasantly weird) in order to take the job. The NV Properties Manager traditionally resides at the DPW Ranch year-’round, which can get lonely and boring if you’re on your own and not easily entertained. The shrewd applicant will have an unruffled mind well-stocked with the kinds of thoughts that can carry one through a medium-length prison sentence without going stir crazy. A body devoid of all hint of genitalia may also be preferable, but in lieu of that you should be adept at arranging regular conjugal visits either in Reno, at the Ranch, or at one of the other ranches in between the two that exist specifically for that very purpose. If you’re the kind of person who thinks it would be a good goof to watch DPW roughnecks twitch and leap in response to every directive you bark at them in your Command Voice, then you may not mind the isolation and accompanying forced celibacy nearly as much.
The duties and essential job functions of the NV Properties Manager are as follows:
- Manage and maintain all elements of the Nevada properties including BRS including the power, fuel, water, waste, structures, general environment and overall conditions of the ranch.
- Manage and administer services to buildings, power plant, water system, gates, fences, signage as well as general housekeeping.
- Initiate, develop, and maintain an inventory of the properties and associated equipment stored at BRS.
- Maintain registration and insurance documents for the DPW Fleet Vehicles.
- Responsible for the overall Burning Man event physical assets in Gerlach, Nevada and at the Black Rock Station.
- Maintain permanent residence at BRS for 12 months per year with vacation to be agreed upon in advance.
- During the off-season (November-March), greet and direct volunteers and visitors at BRS to best inform them of current rules, procedures and protocols and to best utilize the resources available. Work with the Nevada Operations Labor Coordinator to collect “round up forms”. Host orientation sessions. During the on-season (April-October), these duties are performed by the BRS Access Manager, assistant to the NV Properties Manager.
- Inspect and ensure that fire extinguishers are current. Ensure that first-aid kits are on hand and maintained.
- Help identify opportunities for and potential liabilities to the properties.
- Manage the maintenance, development and acquisition of BRC’s purchased and leased property in Nevada
- Prepare and manage annual Nevada Properties budget
- Work with Federal, State and local agencies to ensure compliance with regulations affecting Properties and Operations
- Manage and maintain communication equipment on property in Nevada as necessary. Work in conjunction with ESD Communications
- Oversee routine care-taking, maintenance and landscaping on all BRC properties as necessary
- Schedules and coordinates NVP’s construction activities and subcontractors
- Ensure and maintain record of all tests of material requiring testing, e.g. fire certificates, electrical certificates, fire etc. Work with other BM departments as required.
- Act as a liaison to local businesses and residents. Handle local public relations and policy decisions as necessary. Represent BRC in Nevada.
- Communicate on a regular basis with BRC Board members and other DPW Council Members. Provide weekly reports and provide feedback as necessary. Commute or telephonically attend meetings as necessary
- Oversee work weekends schedules, shop use and special project needs of BRS with assistance from the BRS Access Manager.
- Review progress reports, cost reports, schedules and requirements for project completion
- Observe and relate relevant information to the BRC Board pertaining to any major conflicts, problems, needs or needed repairs to all facilities.
- Maintain radio communication with the Gerlach Office and others as necessary.
- Understand the integrated plan (IP) with other departmental timelines and objectives for the completion of each phase of BRC development; setup, maintenance and tear down.
- Maintain and monitor the BRS Ranch House power plant.
- Supervise, Evaluate and Provide Leadership for the Year-Round Gerlach Staff, BRS Work Crews and Work Weekend Volunteers during the event season.
- Serve as Primary Contact / Liaison for ALL Black Rock Station activities.
- Work in concert with the LLC and the Nevada Ops Council in managing the DPW and other BM departments collective use and care of the various Nevada Properties/Assets during the event cycle and through out the year.
- Research and secure any required permits and/or building codes related to Property developments. Work with BM’s Contracted Planners, County and State Agencies when necessary to establish and maintain mandated code compliance.
- Enlist and supervise independent outside contractors or any specific professionals as needed to accomplish routine maintenance or fulfill specific task as needed or required.
- Oversee the private storage containers project for the Burning Man Event.
- Other duties and projects as assigned
The following qualifications are required:
- Facilities Management experience
- Budget reporting skills and previous budget responsibilities
- Ability to think on his or her feet, problem solve, critically think and remain calm under stress
- Good communication, mediation and listening skills – ability to resolve interpersonal conflicts
- Personnel management experience; proven leadership skills
- Proven ability to interface well with the local community
- Cheerful, outgoing, professional demeanor conducive to effectively presenting information and responding to questions from all levels of staff, volunteers and vendors. This position requires the ability to respond professionally to all individuals and work well as a team player.
- Ability to maintain personal integrity and uphold high standards of confidentiality.
- Demonstrated resourcefulness and good judgment
- Ability to manage multiple projects, prioritize, and manage time appropriately.
- Ability to foster a cooperative work environment.
- Willingness and ability to live in Gerlach, a remote location
- Able to travel for work
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Knowledge of basic maintenance, plumbing, electrical, and mechanical skills necessary
- Organizational skills
- Strong computer, email and Internet experience
- Knowledge of basic construction and shop practices
- Has an awareness of the volunteer process, and has a welcoming attitude toward the integration of these volunteers into the installation and dismantling of BRC
- Valid Class “C” Drivers’s License and clean driving record
- Ability to lift up to 60 pounds
The following skills are not required, but candidates possessing them will be preferred:
- Nevada Contractors license
- Experience with Carpentry
- Possess operating skills and certifications for Heavy Machinery
- Experience in Property Maintenance
If you think you qualify and you’d like a shot at the job, you can submit your résumé and cover letter online at http://blackrockcity.theresumator.com/apply/5Shp1N/Nevada-Properties-Manager.html?source=staff
To be considered for employment, you must submit your application by 5:00 PM on Sunday, Aug 25th, 2013.